Saturday, October 17, 2015

Is Technology Destroying Language?




Technology can be a great thing, and it definitely is, when not abused. Like technology, language has evolved to be more informal, and as people progressed, we continued to adapt to the changing tech world. Those convinced technology is destroying the English language points to online jargon as the blame. There are many ways to describe online language, but in this post I will use the term "netspeak". See link http://technologyandlanguage.weebly.com/destruction.html

In my opinion, technology is not the blame. As texting became a more popular form of communicating, people incorporated netspeak in their regular and professional lives. My view on netspeak is that it shouldn't matter what form of communication is used, as long as the desired message is conveyed. I myself have been guilty of taking short cuts in my writing. I got so accustomed to certain perks such as auto-correct, that I stopped proofreading texts before hitting send, causing me to go over and edit. If I had slowed down to look it over in the first place, i wouldn't need to go back and fix a typo. Most resort to netspeak because it is convenient and allows us to express ourselves more quickly rather than to write out entire sentences. However, people should remember that everything has an appropriate time and place.

Image result for online jargon language











Netspeak has become an epidemic with teens as they even have conversations speaking in the acronyms. In others words, rather than saying the actual words, they spell them out as they would in a text such as omg, jk, lol, wtf, wth, ttyl. In this way teens prove to be the biggest abusers of technology. In closing, if people think technology is destroying language, they should remember that it was people who created it in the first place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment